Date Posted: 03/17/2021
Compensation: $48,888 - $71,856
McDowell County is currently searching for the next leader of the McDowell Transit system. McDowell Transit was previously part of McDowell County DSS, but has been an independent department since 2018. The new director will continue the process of developing the system and enhancing the service to better serve the needs of the community.
- Oversee and supervise daily transit, fixed-route and paratransit operations; lead and participate in the more complex and difficult work of staff including ensuring transit operations are in compliance with the federal Americans with Disabilities Act & NCDOT & Medicaid.
- Participate in the selection of assigned staff; train assigned employees in the areas of work including methods, procedures and techniques of transportation operations; conduct employee evaluations; investigate, prepare and conduct counseling, disciplinary and/or termination actions as required.
- Verify the work of assigned employees for accuracy, proper work methods, techniques and compliance with applicable standards and specifications. Learn and implement billing for services through NC Tracks. In addition, apply for grants through NCDOT in order to fund the transportation system. Prepare yearly budget for department as outlined by McDowell County policies.
- Participate in the development of policies and procedures; monitor work activities to ensure compliance with established federal and state laws and regulations, and county policies and procedures; make recommendations for changes and improvements to existing standards and procedures. Must be able to provide presentations to County Commissioners, public, NCDOT, and other community stakeholders.
- Respond to and investigate complaints from the general public regarding transit, fixed-route and paratransit operations; resolve problems in a timely and efficient manner.
- Review operator inspections reports; coordinate maintenance repair activities for transit, fixed-route and paratransit operations equipment and vehicles.
- Monitor and/or review the issuance of ADA certification to individuals in the McDowell County transit service area.
- Prepare weekly time sheets for assigned drivers; monitor time sheet changes; respond to transit drivers’ inquiries regarding payroll as assigned.
- Responsible for all transit grant writing, monitoring and reporting.
- Attends the McDowell County Transportation Advisory Board meeting in order to report on services and recommends grant applications, service changes, etc.
- Provide regular reports to the County Manager.
- All other duties as assigned.
Must have a valid NC driver’s license.
- Methods and techniques of delivering transportation programs.
- Principles of supervision, training, and performance.
- Principles of basic report preparation.
- Principles and procedures of record keeping.
- Supervise, organize and review the work of lower level staff.
- Operate commercial passenger vehicles for the purpose of providing public transit services.
- Interpret and explain transit policies and procedures.
- Maintain complete and accurate employee records and files.
- Coordinate maintenance and repair activities for transit equipment and vehicles.
- Respond to requests and inquiries from the general public.
- Prepare clear and concise reports.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
Physical demands and working environment: the conditions herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
Environment: office environment; field environment; travel from site to site; exposure to noise, smoke fumes, gases.
Physical: essential and marginal functions may require maintaining physical condition necessary for sitting, walking or standing for prolonged periods of time; light to moderate lifting.
Vision: see in the normal visual range with or without correction; vision sufficient to read computer screens and printed documents.
Hearing: hear in the normal audio range with or without correction.
A degree in public administration, business administration or accounting is desired or college level course work in public or business administration, transportation planning or a related field. However, will consider a combination of education and experience and the ability to understand the needs and problems of clients/applicants. Computer proficiency is required.
Three years of increasingly responsible transportation administration experience.
Bi-lingual ability is desirable.
Benefited after 90 days
Medical, dental, and life insurance
Sick, vacation, and holiday pay
Membership in the Local Government Retirement System
Supplemental retirement 401k/457
PRE-EMPLOYMENT DRUG SCREENING AND BACKGROUND CHECK IS REQUIRED
APPLICANTS WILL BE GIVEN CREDIT ONLY FOR INFORMATION PROVIDED IN RESPONSE TO THIS ANNOUNCEMENT. No additional information will be solicited by the McDowell County; therefore, persons who submit incomplete applications may not receive full credit for their education, training and experience.
McDowell County is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of the County to recruit, hire, train and promote individuals without regard to age, sex, race, color, religion, political affiliation or national origin. The County will interactively work with disabled applicants and employees to identify reasonable accommodations that will allow the individual to perform essential job functions.
McDowell County participates in E-Verify.
Applications are available:
- on our website: www.mcdowellgov.com- under “Employment Opportunities
- McDowell County Administration Building: 60 East Court St Marion, NC 28752
- McDowell County Administration Annex: 100 Spaulding Rd, Suite #1 Marion, NC 28752
- Employment Security Commission: 316 Baldwin Ave Marion, NC 28752
Applications can be submitted:
- in the locked box at the County Administration building: 60 East Court Street Marion, NC 28752
- in person at the Administration Annex: 100 Spaulding Rd, Suite #1 Marion, NC 28752
- By mail to: McDowell County Human Resources, 60 East Court Street Marion, NC 28752
- By email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- By fax to: 828-659-9476