Date Posted: 09/23/2021
Under general guidance from the Program & Outreach Librarian, the Outreach Assistant is responsible for managing the bookmobile and supporting outreach services and programs for the McDowell County Public Library. Major responsibilities include managing community partnerships with outreach routes and stops, driving and maintaining the bookmobile van and materials, assisting in developing teen programs and services, and supporting programming staff. This position is non-exempt under the guidelines of the Fair Labor Standards Act.
Management of Bookmobile Services
- Assists users of all ages in library service on the Bookmobile.
- Maintains an orderly, accessible shelving arrangement on the vehicle.
- Educate users on bookmobile and library service.
- Maintains bookmobile services records, statistics, and files.
- Is familiar with complaint procedures; documents and handles initial problems; refers these to the Program and Outreach Librarian and/or Library Director if necessary.
- Computer check-in and check-out of books and other materials.
- Answers telephone promptly while on duty.
- Reserves books as requested by patron, and calls patrons when books are available.
- Prepares library cards for patrons following library procedures.
- Shelves materials and reads shelves for accuracy as assigned.
- Performs bookmobile opening and closing procedures which includes stocking materials on the bookmobile and bringing them back into the library at the end of the day.
- Attends meetings and workshops, when directed, related to providing bookmobile library service.
- On occasion may need to work at an assigned library branch.
- Performs other tasks as assigned.
- Drives bookmobile to community stops.
- Interchanging shelving when serving as a mobile tech center or classroom.
- Responsible for the safety of staff on vehicle.
- Checks mechanical operation of vehicle and reports on repairs needed.
- Keeps vehicle and generator filled with oil, fuel; checks batteries and tires regularly.
- Washes and cleans interior and exterior of vehicle as needed.
- Troubleshoots wireless connection.
Program and Outreach Support
- Assists Outreach Staff in planning programs and outreach services for all ages.
- Assists in setting up outreach events, including tent, tables, marketing resources, and program resources.
- Develops and assists in providing programs and library services for youth in middle and high school.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Strong written and oral communication and customer relations skills.
- Familiarity with library procedures and materials.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to bend, stoop, lift book bags, push loaded book cart.
- Computer knowledge and skills, including Internet and word processing.
- Has excellent customer service skills.
- The ability to work as a team with other staff in all areas of the library.
- Public library experience.
- College education desirable, high school required.
- Valid North Carolina driver’s license.
Benefited after 90 days
Medical, dental, and life insurance
Sick, vacation, and holiday pay
Membership in the Local Government Retirement System
Supplemental retirement 401k/457
PRE-EMPLOYMENT DRUG SCREENING AND BACKGROUND CHECK IS REQUIRED
APPLICANTS WILL BE GIVEN CREDIT ONLY FOR INFORMATION PROVIDED IN RESPONSE TO THIS ANNOUNCEMENT. No additional information will be solicited by the McDowell County; therefore, persons who submit incomplete applications may not receive full credit for their education, training and experience.
McDowell County is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of the County to recruit, hire, train and promote individuals without regard to age, sex, race, color, religion, political affiliation or national origin. The County will interactively work with disabled applicants and employees to identify reasonable accommodations that will allow the individual to perform essential job functions.
McDowell County participates in E-Verify.
Applications are available:
- on our website: www.mcdowellgov.com- under “Employment Opportunities
- McDowell County Administration Building: 60 East Court St Marion, NC 28752
- McDowell County Administration Annex: 100 Spaulding Rd, Suite #1 Marion, NC 28752
- Employment Security Commission: 316 Baldwin Ave Marion, NC 28752
Applications can be submitted:
- in the locked box at the County Administration building: 60 East Court Street Marion, NC 28752
- in person at the Administration Annex: 100 Spaulding Rd, Suite #1 Marion, NC 28752
- By mail to: McDowell County Human Resources, 60 East Court Street Marion, NC 28752
- By email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- By fax to: 828-659-9476